12.20.2008

HEALTH & FITNESS SERIES

P90X - Workout Program
HFS2-08

In my last HFS post, I mentioned that I like to work out.  I've always maintained some exercise routine, usually consisting of jogging, pushups, pull-ups and some weightlifting. My routine, however, was never very regimented and so I never achieved optimum results.  

Last Christmas, my wife bought me a work-out program that has gotten me into the best shape of my life.

In late 2007, my wife and I were watching TV and came across an infomercial for Tony Horton's work-out program, P90X. I was sold right away! This work-out program looked totally different than all the rest. There were no gimmicks. It was straight pushups, weightlifting, pull-ups, calisthenics and a bad-ass abdominal routine. The program contained all the moves I had been doing, but in a regimented, systematic program, based on the concept of muscle confusion. Muscle confusion is theory of varying your movements every month to avoid plateau. 

We were getting married in 6 months in the Dominican Republic, so using a system like P90X to get into beach-shape seemed like the necessary thing to do. My wife bought the system for me for Christmas and I've been using it every since.

P90X is a 3 month-rotation program, 6 days a week, 1 hour a day. I typically work out in the morning because it's too hard to work out at night. Thus, I go to work refreshed and energized.  It's a commitment, but it works! I lost 15 lbs. (down from 175 to 160) and discovered my six pack for the first time. My waist went from 35 in. to 31 in. I went from being able to do 10 pull-ups to 20 pull-ups. My wedding guests responded quite positively to the results...as did my wife.

To keep it real, I am not huge and I am not shredded. I do not like like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky III. But, for someone who works full-time behind a desk, P90X has gotten me into fantastic shape; the best shape of my life!

If you can find about an hour a day and the motivation, I highly recommend P90X! If you follow the program, you will not be disappointed. Check out Tony Horton's other work-out programs here.


No comments: